Who We Are
- The Retirement Finance Institute is a unit within The Sisu Advantage (www.thinksisu.org)
- The Sisu Advantage is an IRS 501(c)3 non-profit educational organization (ID:81-2415611). Our vision is a world that is increasingly data-informed, whether applied to personal choices, organizational strategy, or public policy.
- Jerry Platt, Ph.D., is retired b-school dean and emeritus professor of finance at SFSU
- Jason Platt, CFP, is financial advisor and VP of wealth management at Citizens Securities
What We Do
- The Institute is dedicated to helping individuals and families “own their retirement”
- As owner, you are responsible for retirement assessments, choices, and monitoring
- We offer resources for those intent on “outsourcing” portions or all that responsibility
- We belief our greater value is offering guidance and tools for “Do-It-Yourself” plans
When We Started
- Jerry became interested in retirement finance at age 29, his first year at SFSU. He shared an office with an 80-something tenured professor who taught the subject -- and the cot on which he took naps between classes. Desperate to leverage tenure and keep his salary, students be damned. Jerry committed then to a life of “rewirement” after life in academe.
- Jason was forced to deal with retirement and his own “rewirement”, also at age 29, when injuries prematurely ended his career as a professional hockey player. He chose finance.
Where We Excel
- Jerry holds a doctorate from Ohio State with a focus on public finance, and a post- doctorate in statistical computing from Stanford. He retired in 2018 from USC, where he taught machine learning. He also held a management position at a Fortune 500 firm.
- Jason holds an MBA in finance and has 10+ years experience, mostly at Merrill Lynch.
- Together, we offer a data-informed, pragmatic approach to financing your retirement.
Why You Might Care
- You may have had several restarts in the workforce; there are no do-overs in retirement.
- Most financial advisors specialize in accumulation of assets; retirement is decumulation.
- Retirement advisors often are expensive, even while applying a one-size-fits-all approach.
- Strategic steps to succesful retirement need not be mysterious; you can learn how to do it.
- Our membership program provides guidance and tools to empower you to “Do-It-Yourself”.
How You Can Benefit
- Use the extensive material we provide to become an informed party to your own retirement.
- Better still, enroll in our “D.I.Y.” membership program to plan and truly own your retirement.